Campbell’s Soup began making soup in New Toronto in 1931, and they are still going strong. The plant is on Birmingham Street, corner of Dwight Avenue, and we can always smell the soup cooking (with a pretty good guess at the flavour, too). There is a brief history on the Campbell’s website.
Before Campbell’s was built, the site housed a hydro pole yard. The picture below was taken by J. Wylie in 1928. The two men in the picture are Goodyearites and are now deceased. The second picture is the Campbell’s Soup plant today.